We have regular social events; the big ones being the Integrating Factor in term 1, and the Maths BBQ/ puzzle trail in term 3, as well as smaller socials such as pub golf throughout the year. We will inform you of these via our Facebook groups and through emails.
Over the years the lecturers here at Warwick have delivered one great lecture after another, sometimes they even find the time to say something funny. WMS presents to you some of the best quotes from our favourite lecturers.
At the bottom of the page you'll find more fun stuff!
Or view this page in alphabetical order.
Got a funny quote? Go to the contact page and let us know!
- "Hamilton is probably the most noteworthy Irish mathematician there has been ... I can't remember his first name." - 2001
- "Mathematicians are anarchists. [Explaining why there is no international system for notation in Maths]" - 2004
- "If you ignore the complications, it's not very complicated." - 2004
- "It's so obvious I wrote it down wrong." - 2005
- "I really shouldn't lecture on this particular proof. I never get it right." - 2006
- "If you do the check and you've got it right, you feel wonderful. If you do the check and you've got it wrong, you feel suicidal." - 2006
- "Like most things, if you understand it, the proof is obvious. But since you rarely understand things, I'll go through the proof." - 2006
- "[on quadratic forms] The general aim in life is to get rid of the xy terms." - 2006
- "The theory is more likely to be correct than our arithmetic." - 2006
- "I'm not saying anything about reality." - 2013
- "You have met the definition of a metric space before. It was in...Geometry. Thats right. Oh and maybe Metric spaces as well." - 2001
- "You have no idea how difficult it is to do that [after downing a pint delivered at 10:30 during RAG week]" - 2001
- "This is our set up... you know, like we're setting something up... like a fire" - 2001
- "This is the first, second, third ... and this is the forth." - 2001
- "This is one of those rare moments" - 2001
- "And so the first cohomology of a torus is , because 1 plus 1 equals 2." - 2009
- "This is going to be one bloody proof! ... just kidding." - 2010
- "The torus is the usual counterexample to most statements." - 2010
- "From now on, we will assume that all pants are geometric." - 2010
- "Today, maybe I can tell you why we are interested in Riemann surfaces... actually, I cannot do that, so let's move on." - 2010
- "Now I'm going to do something crazy" - 1995
- "It doesn't matter if you make a mistake in the exam, you won't lose marks for it" - 1995
- "I don't expect you to understand this" - 1995
- "Hello? ... who is this? ... this mobile phone was left in L3 at the University of Warwick ..." - 2001
- "Does anyone know how these boards work?" - 2001
- "That j should be a tau ... no, the k should ... oh, I don't know. Let's just start again" - 2001
A selection of links to other fun bits: