We have regular social events; the big ones being the Integrating Factor in term 1, and the Maths BBQ/ puzzle trail in term 3, as well as smaller socials such as pub golf throughout the year. We will inform you of these via our Facebook groups and through emails.
Over the years the lecturers here at Warwick have delivered one great lecture after another, sometimes they even find the time to say something funny. WMS presents to you some of the best quotes from our favourite lecturers.
At the bottom of the page you'll find more fun stuff!
Or view this page in alphabetical order.
Got a funny quote? Go to the contact page and let us know!
- "d^2 needs to be bigger than... one over... can anyone see which inequality I need to use?" - 2001
- John Rawnsley: "[having proved something for a continuous linear operator A] This works for all A." Student: "Do you mean all continuous linear A?" John Rawnsley: "[deadpan] You know, I'd always thought that I was the most pedantic person I ever knew..." -2003
- "This is just a notationally complicated way of saying f is a homomorphism." - 2007
- "My notes contain two proofs and I'm not sure which is right. One just says it's obvious." - 2009
- "8 is very much like 6." - 2004
- "If you showed me that definition in the middle of the night, I wouldn't know what it was. [Definition of Group Action] " - 2004
- "[After completing a proof on change of bases] And there it is; that is black magic. Three hundred years ago you could be burnt for that." - 2004
- "You can either follow the proof or wiggle your way around." - 2005
- "Heisenberg gets stopped by a policeman, who asks "Do you know how fast you were going?", to which he answers "No, but I know exactly where I am!"" - 2008
- "You take Heisenberg's cat, put it in a box and shoot it or something, and you get a measurement." - 2008
- "Today I'm going to make a huge leap - maybe that's why I'm wearing this communist shirt." - 2008
- "Do you use small or big a to write abelian ? [no one answers] Obviously there are a lot of people here who aren't thinking. I think this is a good thing for the leap! " - 2008
- "I don't want to do this with my hands tied behind my back" - 1995
- "This [proof] is your first introduction to the black art of diagram chasing. Next week we'll go to hell and back with diagram chasing, but this is your first introduction." - 2008
- "Suppose we have a continuous map that is continuous." - 2005
- "You have met the definition of a metric space before. It was in...Geometry. Thats right. Oh and maybe Metric spaces as well." - 2001
A selection of links to other fun bits: